Monday, September 20, 2010

Revival: Devotion to God’s Word

Revive Me Psalm 119Psalm 119:25-32
Revival awakens in our hearts an increased awareness of the presence of God, a new love for God, a new hatred for sin, and a hunger for His Word.” - Del Fehsenfeld Jr.
Last week I began to write about personal revival from Psalm 119:25-32. Many Christians would love to see a true revival in our nation and world. I would too. But revival begins with the individual. Personal spiritual revival must precede any corporate revival. As we saw in Psalm 119:25, the real prayer we need to pray is, “Revive me!” 
What does revival according to God’s Word look like? Four things are included in a personal spiritual revival. The first was Declaration of Sin and Our Need for God, (Psalm 119:25-26).
Today we see the second indication of personal revival:
2. Devotion to God’s Word (119:26-27)
Verse 26 ended with “Teach me your statutes” and verse 27 continues the same request in different words, “Make me understand the way of your precepts.”
The psalmist knew there were still lessons to learn in the school of life and he did not want to miss them. Too often we ask, “God, how can I get out of this trouble?” when we should be asking, “God, what do You want to teach me in this? What do you want me to get out of this experience?”
The psalmist wanted truth, truth that is set in stone and will never change. Oh, would that we wanted that today! … there is no way to exaggerate the vital importance of God’s teaching for our spiritual health. In a day when churches are built on empty entertainment, shallow sermonettes, and tainted tradition, we desparately need the reviving power of God’s truth.
I believe that one thing that can cure the anemic church of the 21st century is God’s absolute Truth. Oh that we would pray as the psalmist does: “teach me Your statutes!”
A devotion to understanding God’s word will strengthen our devotion God. A high view of God and a high view of God’s word go hand in hand. My purpose in studying the Bible is not just so I can have a ton of knowledge or so I can show-off what I have learned. I am not advocating anything even close to biblolatry. I study the Bible to know God; to meet Him in His word; to meditate on His wonders; to love Him with all my heart.
God’s word is really all about Jesus Christ. Jesus said, "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me,” (John 5:39). So a devotion to God’s word is not just devotion to a text, it is devotion to Jesus Christ whom the text reveals.
So I must ask myself:
Am I increasingly devoted to knowing and loving God through His word?
(In the next post I will discuss the third indicator of personal revival: Dependence on God in Prayer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this post.