Thursday, August 19, 2010

Six Secrets of Delight

Lake on Grand Mesa“The trouble with many men is that they have got just enough religion to make them miserable. If there is not joy in religion, you have got a leak in your religion.”-- Billy Sunday.

Followers of Jesus ought to be people characterized by joy. Yesterday I was reading Psalm 16. It is a psalm of delight. David uses the words "delight," "pleasant," "glad," “rejoice,” and "joy" in this Psalm. Although David had many trials and tribulations, none of them are mentioned here. David simply delights in his life.

What is his secret? Where did David find his delight? And where can we find that kind of joy?

1. DELIGHT IN THE LORD’S PERSON. V. 2, "You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You." The NIV says, "Apart from you I have no good thing." I like the way David said it. The only goodness he has experienced is from the Lord. How true for us all! All good gifts come from the Lord.

James 1:17 "Every good and perfect gift is from above..." If it’s good, it’s from God. Our ultimate delight must always be in the Lord no matter what we have or do not have. The only way to find true delight in life on a daily basis is to find it in the Lord.

2. DELIGHT IN THE LORD’S PEOPLE. V. 3, “As for the saints who are on the earth, They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight." God has placed believers together in the body of Christ.  We should value people, just like Jesus. People are God’s most valuable creation. Loving and caring for others will bring delight into our lives. Someone said it this way: "Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves."

3. DELIGHT IN THE LORD’S PORTION. V. 5, "O LORD, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot." What is your lot in life? What is your cup in life? Are you happy with the portion that God has given you? Your portion is your family, your job, your neighborhood, your lot in life. Sometimes God gives us more, sometimes less. Regardless of our cup, our portion, we must be thankful and learn to delight in it. Remember our ultimate portion and inheritance is with the Lord in eternity.

4. DELIGHT IN THE LORD’S PRINCIPLES. V. 7, " I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel; My heart also instructs me in the night seasons." How does the Lord counsel us? Generally, through His Word. We either hear the word preached or taught or else we read it for ourselves. The Word of God counsels us, gives us direction in life. Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

5. DELIGHT IN THE LORD’S PROTECTION. V. 8, " I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved." There are times in life when we are faced with fearful situations that could cause us harm either physically or spiritually. And we need to be thankful for the protection that God provides.

6. DELIGHT IN THE LORD’S PROMISE. V. 10, “For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.” David believed in the resurrection of the dead. He believed God’s promise of everlasting life. And in this he rejoiced and delighted. Because he knew he would be in the presence of the Lord. That is our delight.

Life changes. Health changes. Relationships change. But God never changes. Jesus is still the Christ, the Son of the living God, our risen Lord! Oh, how I delight in Him. V. 11, “In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”

In what do you delight?

2 comments:

  1. Here are a few more that I personally enjoy:

    7. Delight in the Lord's affection.
    8. Delight in the Lord's mercy.
    9. Delight in the Lord's understanding.
    10. Delight in the Lord's will.

    I posted a link to this on my facebook page. I really liked this post Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    What, no alliteration? Are you a real preacher? (ha, ha!).

    You are right. There is so much of the Lord and His goodness in which to delight. As David said, “pleasures forevermore.” No happiness on this earth can compare with the joy of the Lord.

    Thanks for the link. --Richard

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this post.